Happy Halloween!!

October 28, 2014 | Posted in Education

Halloween is here again.  Kids and candy go door to door.  Holidays should be fun!  How as parents can we help minimize the destructive effects of sugar for our kid’s teeth without being total party poopers?
 
Simple sugars in candy are bad for our teeth!  As soon as sugar enters the mouth, bacteria feed on it.  The consumption of sugar results in production of waste that is extremely acidic.  This acid creates a hole in the enamel of the tooth resulting in what we call a cavity.
 
As parents it is your job to help find the right balance.  It isn’t just about limiting the amount of candy your kids consume but the type and frequency is also important.  Candy that sticks to your teeth or is sucked or is chewed for a long period of time increases how long the acid attacks the teeth.  When kids eat candy all day even just a little bit, this keeps the acid levels high in the mouth.  Bottom line is limit the amount of candy and how often candy is consumed and avoid sticky chewy candy.
 
Make sure the kids visit their dental professional for regular checkups and fluoride treatments too.  Call us for an after Halloween clean up at the Rideau Dental Centre at 613-230-7475.